Sunday, May 10, 2009

weekend movie - laskar pelangi...



Last week Ibu Dyah Purnamawati, my good fren at the Training & Development Board East Java (Badan DIKLAT, Jatim) couried me a premium original copy of the 'Laskar Pelangi' DVD. Thanks Ibu Dyah. I saw it a few times, my kid and my madura maid also watched it. So did my wife. In my earlier posting I had already describe the movie. Last saturday nite one of the akademi fantasi students sang the 'laskar pelangi' theme song. But I didn't like the comments that bugger (one of the judges, anak tompel) made. I can't say for sure its professional jealousy/rivalry or sheer distaste for anything unmalaysian! I fell in love with that movie because it relates to my early days at school. Its about poor malay kids on the island of belitong thirsting for an education. Note the use of the word 'education' (evil grin). You have to see the movie to appreciate the simple message Andrea Hirata was trying to elucidate. I like the part where Ikal became fond of the chinese girl Ah Ling (hehe although that's not the main part of the movie bah! hahaha). Reminds me of when I was in Std I at Sultan Abdullah School Kuantan...I walked to school with 'Ah Ling' everyday (wink) hehe as she was my neighbour hahaha. The movie, if you ask me, is sort of the indonesian equivalent of oscar-winning indian 'slumdog millionaire'. But a fren of mine who retired from being executive chairman of one of the 'big four' feels that slumdog millionaire is nothing more than about child slavery. Well, I guess many feels that way too about it. Laskar Pelangi has simple settings and a good storyline. The most powerful mesage, to me, is bringing back the nobility of the teaching profession, to where it should (although I realise these days...its economics, stupid! where got altruism anymore bah?) and about the value of true friendships and chasing after real dreams where finally Ikal got a scholarship to Sorbonne, Paris. It is highly recommended (my thinkinglah) that it be shown to our teachers (especially primary schools), principals and ministry of education....some elements of nation-building too. Going back to basics...perhaps the essence of what 1Malaysia is all about? (notti grin)...hehehe. By the way, I need to catch Tom Hanks in action again in 'Angels & Demons' after the Da Vinci Code.. I hope your sunday wasn't too bad folks, do have a great week ahead...

No comments: