Sunday, April 13, 2008

...success-an overate virtue..or is it?

Some people act and think as though they had not been born mortals as others were, but had been carefully lowered from heaven - Sean O' Casey. Life is such a rat race that in some societies, nothing matters more than success. Need I tell you more of what the motivating factors the likes of success can do to people like Sufiah? Yes it can rear its ugly head, it can be devastating to so many people, but to some, they use it to make a joke out of it...coining terms like prostitutes galore and implicating a whole ethnic group at that...ish ..notti notti RPK. I won't agree or disagree here, really its a matter of opinion and interpretation but I'd rather stick to my notion I have held close to my heart the last 30 years...of what success really is. The poem inscribed on that wooden photo above, given to me by someone 30 years ago, still hangs in my study until today. Whenever I take time off to reflect, I read the words...anonymously written. Comforting me, giving me a self-adjusting mechanism so I don't hate the world, be too sad at others' failures or brood excessively over my own shortcomings or failures or grudged others of their successes. The words speak by itself. It is soo therapeutic and if it has put me in good stead all these while, I don't see why it should not do the same to you, well, at the very least....hehe. I speak truth, not so much as I would, but as much as I dare; and I dare a little more as I grow older - MONTAIGNE, Essays III

No comments: