Friday, March 20, 2009

baby boomers and the lost generation?...

Half an hour ago I gave a return call to a schoolmate (Sukumaran) from std 5 GES PD right up to form 5 Science 1, SMI PD. He was headboy then in 1971. I was secretary to the prefect's board, Heng Yick Heang was Treasurer. Sukumaran, this handsome malayali bugger, is closest to me after Tiruchelvam well I mean they are both the only schoolmates we keep in contact until today. We will probably have tehtarik much more frequently after retirement, if we live long enough. You know lah these days, anything after 55, is a bonus. As usual, we (me and suku) would be lamenting the state of the nation, the current issues, problems and hopes and of course the bodoh stuff people appear to be saying in the newspapers that made us feel more 'bodoh' hahaha (evil wink).

Then suku said, those born before 1957 were british subjects but we chose to be true blue malaysians hahaha ( I never thought of it before...I mean being british subjects and all hmmm hehe...so I guess the next time I meet my partners from THATCHAM, I would say...hey guys, don't pray pray aah? (of Phua Chu Kang fame) we're british too u know? ya rite...).


Then we touched a bit about the younger generation and what will happen 20 years from now as we imagine it to be....and I remembered what a new friend I made at the conference earlier on today, Victor Chau K Fong from Hong Kong and as we chatted about 'our' baby-boomer generation, the young ones are known as the 'lost generation' in HongKong and of course in mainland China too and the difficulties teachers and parents encounter, in managing them. Read here. having said all that, I always believe that most, if not all, generations wil ripen, come of age and rise to the occasion. Its a global phenomena. I think its the same everywhere. When I read that article, ahah...sounds familiar...I look at my own children...its tough...sometimes I feel I have failed in that department. My friend Victor said, this 'lost generation' is the most pampered lot. Perhaps we, the baby boomer generation is also at fault? let me know your thoughts folks? nanait...nid to catch some quality sleep.....

No comments: