Monday, December 22, 2008

of lockerbies and tis a season of weddings again...

Not many of us remember the Lockerbie Tragedy. The plane that exploded over a Scottish agricultural village, 20 years ago, yesterday. How could I forget? A dear friend and a colleague, David Trimmer-Smith marketing director of OUP New York was on that flight. We were together having a great time at the Annual Frankfurt Book Fair (Buch messe as we say in German) in September 1988. I too had planned to visit my cousin who was attached with MIDA New York at the time but changed my mind and spend a couple extra days in London instead. If you'd like to read about it, see here.
Two weddings today, one was at noon at Shahalam, daughter of our SVP Human Capital Management, and the other was later in the evening at PJ Hilton, daughter of an old close friend who was formerly executive chairman of a second board (which later moved to the main board, I think..hehe) technology company. I wrote an account of she and her brother's ordeal...swimming back to shore at night in PD in my earlier blogpostings.
Its 4.25am and somehow or rather I don't feel sleepy despite the heavy food especially the uish..irresistible 'rendang tok' at PJ Hilton a few hours ago. Saw this HBO movie "Man of the Year" (Robin Williams) and am always amazed at the speed of how Americans do things. They can be really swift. As I watched the movie, I couldn't help analysing...hehe. The movie is full of sarcasm, making fun of politicians well American politics more like it, hehe. Very well articulated by Robin Williams...in his usual style... The Japanese are very quick too. Every new book published in English, they would have a japanese translated version in their bookshops within a month, So I was told, in those days (late 70s, 80s). I don't know what it's like now but my guess is, with today's technology, aaasssooo desneh...it should be even faster neh? Have a great week ahead folks....

No comments: