Saturday, July 05, 2008

Statutory Declarations...otherwise a dull document, brought to life!

I had something to eat a while ago at my favourite Pak Su (Kedai Kelantan SS6 Kelana Jaya). Had eaten Lau's kueyteow for the last 22 years...but not tonite. I just had sotong kangkong, poached kerang and teh o limau nipis nipis...hehe. Chatted as usual, with strangers and when I asked them casually what you think of the current situation in the country? She said...I am confused. I am not sure who is really telling the truth...uwaaa...uhu hu..hu..hu. And I said, have no fear there...you're home alone again...hehe. Which brings me to SD shortform for Statutory Declaration, where in my job, it is often a required document to be dealt with, with utmost care (legally speaking). With recent events that I had read in the news (both mainstream and otherwise) I am inclined to rethink what SD's are really becoming...a far cry from the perception I had grown to believe, that it is a most important document indeed third in line only after Allah and the Prophet (Peace Be Unto Him)...Of course by the stroke of recent events, many would beg to differ or perhaps even violently object to my understanding of what SDs really are!
Wikipedia defines: A statutory declaration is a legal document defined under the law of certain Commonwealth nations. It is similar to a statement made under oath, however, it is not sworn. Statutory declarations are commonly used to allow a person to affirm something to be true for the purposes of satisfying some legal requirement or regulation when no other evidence is available. They are thus similar to affidavits (which are made on oath). Depending on jurisdiction, statutory declarations can be used for: Declarations of identity, nationality, marital status, etc. when documentary evidence is unavailable. Declaring the intention to change one's name. Affirming the provenance and nature of goods for export or import. Statements of originality for patent applications.
Now tell me I am far-fetched in my views of what SDs are, or what they are meant for....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hei! How about tennis