Saturday, November 09, 2013

of The Asia HRD Awards ( http://www.asiahrdawards.com/halloffame.aspx) and stale practices...



Not many people know I was one of the recipient of the 2013 Asia HRD Awards (contribution to the HR Community Category). Some would be excited to know, some would congratulate immediately, others might say 'aah who cares' or 'so what?' huhuhu. We should expect that. I, of all people, should expect that too hehehe. 

Which reminds me of when I was director of the Malayan Railways Training School where one day I told my MD.."Dato', if you think that all the 7500 employees love you, it would just be an illusion ok? I went on to say, that while some would take a bullet for you, some would not hesitate to stab u in the chest right in front of everybody else." He laughed and agreed with me.  Upon reflection, I thought he was going to sack me..hahaha.

I just wanted to humbly thank everyone who were part of the process that enabled me to receive that award last June at the Ritz-Carlton, Jakarta, Indonesia. Thank you very much. A last feather on my cap, after 36 years of corporate life.

I like to share what Peter Cappelli, George  W Taylor Professor of Management at the Wharton School wrote in the October 2013 Harvard Business Review. He highlighted 3 stale practices of HR (succession planning, high-potential programs and workforce planning). He said that many talent management practices developed in the post-World War II era targeted problems that no longer exist or cannot be solved in the same ways they once were (Einstein said something similar to that effect..hehe).

Succession planning - intended to identify the right person to fill a given job years in the future. a failed succession plan can be worse that no plan at all, he contends

High-potential programs - designed to quickly move postwar college graduates (initially engineers) with new skills in running manufacturing operations into leadership ranks, because at the time, few executives had college degrees. But most companies have poor track record when it comes to assessing potential, (tell me abaurit..hehe), so the right people don't always end up in the programs

Workforce planning - many HR departments create detailed estimates of their future talent needs. But if you are uncertain about where your business will be and what kind of turnover you'll experience, no workforce plan will be right. As with succession plans, a failed workforce plan wastes the time and energy spent creating it. It can also lock you in a path that is difficult to change...

Go pick up the October 2013 issue of HBR and read the details...Professor Cappelli is author of Why Good people Can't Get Jobs: The Skill Gap and What Companies Can Do About It (Wharton Digital Press, 2012)


No comments: