Saturday, November 16, 2013

Inaugural ASEAN Corporate Governance Summit 2013 Langkawi...



I have been  occasionally chairing, moderating and panelists at the Malaysian Institute of Corporate Governance (MICG) conferences and seminars for quite sometime now. I also represent MICG at one of the modules (Internal Controls and Risk Management) for the Certificate of Integrity (CeoI) program of Institut Integriti Malaysia conducted at the Malaysian Anti Corruption Commission (MACC) Academy. 3 cohorts have listened to or oh well, endured or survived the 2 hour ordeal with me hahaha. One of the participants who is with Tekun Nasional came to me and said 'Prof, I was in the second group that you lectured' haha. Very nice of him to come to me. I felt very humbled by that gesture but I also felt bad because I faintly remembered. adoi...

Anyway, I was asked to co-chair this Inaugural ASEAN Corporate Governance Summit 2013 at the Pelangi Meritus Resort & Spa, Pantai Cenang, Langkawi Island, Malaysia...the island that former Prime Minister Tun Mahathir Mohamed had envisioned to give Bali a run for their money..a Bali wannabe sort of hehehe. I was last here at this Pelangi Resort in 2004 when I attended the LID or The Langkawi International Dailogue.

The other 2 chairperson was my good old compadre or fellow retired or pensioned off corporate secretaries hahaha. He was until recently the group legal and secretarial honcho of  the global FMCG company, Nestle and the other one, a UniKL don. Mohd Shah Hashim the Nestle guy, was very good, articulate and disciplined. And very dominant too! hahaha. Sorry Shah, hehehe. He only let me summaries the proceedings of the second day of the summit, at the end just after the final panel session and before the tokens of appreciation were given out hahaha. Shah is a very close friend.  We spoke at the Middle East Company Secretaries Conference in Manama, Bahrain, in 2009. He does great bargains too, that somehow made me buy 2 lovely kashmir carpets at prices you definitely cannot get in Kuala Lumpur. Thanks Shah hehe.

Respectable delegate representation from Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and many company and GLC directors and company secretaries from Malaysia. Good lineup of papers and speakers, regulators included, and there were always lively debates considering that corporate governance is not something fashionable or flavor of the month sort of thingy. It is a calling ( a term used in the movie 'Angels & Demons' to describe the swiss guards protecting the Pope at the Vatican..haha) to both the public and private sectors that in order to attract  investors, and enhance capital markets, and be an engine of a nation's economic growth, ethical and transparent behavior is imperative. I am not about to give a lecture on corporate governance ok? hahaha. You can alway google it or check Youtube. Plenty of stuff there. Omg, its past midnite,and I have my MBA class to teach tomorrow. Good night folks. Have a great weekend...

No comments: