Monday, November 18, 2013

CSM-ACE 2013 or Cyber Security Malaysia:Awards-Conference-Exhibition...


CSM-ACE 2012 Doubletree Hilton Kuala Lumpur where I first moderated...

I have been asked to chair or moderate many conferences over the years.. across disciplines and industries. There was one time recently I moderated a O&G 2013 conference at JW Marriott, Kuala Lumpur, where the panelists and delegates thought that I must have had years of exposure in the oil and gas industry as I spoke about the new unconventional Gas opportunities with authority hahaha. The guy who asked me was from Frost&Sullivan. See the organiser/delegate feedback on my linkedIn. hahaha. Of course, I had to read up and know as much as I can before I can carry out my duty as a good moderateur, ask the right questions and engage both the speakers/panelists and delegates/participants…eh hello..not an easy thing to do ok?

Last week 13th November, I was again chairing a panel discussion of the above conference (CSM-ACE 2013) at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur. The track was : Governance & Risk Management and the Topic: Cyber Security as a Proxy for Trade Protection. We were to discuss and deliberate current issues and the formulation and implementation of cyber security policies that are vital to our national security and economic prosperity, on the premise that coherent cyber security policies can ensure a secure, resilient and trusted digital operating environment that best serves the interests of the nation through effective domestic and collaborative international cyber security measures.

The  distinguished panelists and experts in their own right were Thaib Mustafa, VP IT Strategy Telekom Malaysia, Pierre Noel, Chief Security Officer & Adviser, Asia, Microsoft and Megat Mohammad Faisal Khir Johari, Director of Risk Consulting , Deloitte Enterprise Risk Services Sdn Bhd. Noel of Microsoft failed to turn up…hmmm I wonder why..but was told that MH had cancelled that day's flight from Singapore…hmmm. he was swiftly replaced with Iskandar Brown (who just got married 2 weeks ago haha), executive director at BDO. Megat apparently was also at the Inaugural ASEAN Corporate Governance Summit at Langkawi 6/7 Nov and he said he saw me co-chair then…hehehe. 

As usual, I try to avoid typical malaysian-style where, chairmen, moderators speak more than panelists hahaha. I said hello..and Salam 1CyberSecurity..which I realised afterwards that that's about the only thing delegates remember hahaha. It is always a challenge speaking or moderating in the afternoon ok? Anyway, started off with my usual 'Men have been swindling other men on several occasions. In the Autumn of 1929 men succeeded in swindling themselves' - John Kenneth Gailbraith. Then I went on to give the definition of Proxy - authority given to someone to vote or kill others on their behalf hahaha and proxy server….go google it ok?. and I alluded all to go take a look at one of the recent issues of The Economist where there was a special report on the state of the world economy (The Gated Globe)…and why cyber security is really a proxy for trade protection…the interesting debate and deliberations ensued from the distinguished panel of experts…. 

Wow…quite a mouthful and heavy stuff isn't it? I promise my next blogpost won't be so heavy…hahaha.. promise, promise..ok? hehehe. Have a great week ahead now y'all...

No comments: