Wednesday, December 23, 2009

of undemocratic moderateurs...

Had it not been for chairing commitments in Kuala Lumpur, I would have taken an extra week off and hop northwards to explore Beijing even though the weather was getting harsher at minus zero levels. At some point it was reported that snowfall was in bigger quantities than usual. Well, Beijing can wait.

I thought I only had to moderate a panel session at the 2009 KL Takaful Conference (KLTF) at Nikko Hotel but oh no...I forgot that I had agreed earlier, to chair a whole day session of M2Asia's conference on Managing Performance Culture and Talent at JW Marriott, Kuala Lumpur. It turned out that the panelist session at Nikko was cancelled and I was having a really great time at the M2Asia conference at JW Marriott. But I left after lunch to be at the KLTF.

Really great stuff and excellent knowledge sharing at JW Marriott with speakers from Hewitt Digi, Toyota Motors et al.

I must have been doing quite alot of conference chairings that I kinda like it. I think I am in my elements when I chair conferences, seminars, colloquiems...especially if the subject areas are those that are close to my heart or that I have a passion for...hehe. One speaker candidly remarked just before he made his presentation that I have made the sessions much more enjoyable and interactive and that at times I seem to speak more than the speaker hahaha. Hmm, that's not very good isn't it? Ok ok... i must learn to reduce my interjections and not disturb the speaker/presenter hahaha....

But it's nice, being in control of the situation (wink) and I can tell you I am not very democratic when I am chairing or moderating hahaha (evil wink). You have to check with the conference organisers as to the feedback I get from participants. One will somehow know if one is not call upon again to chair hehe. If there is repeat invite...you can second guess, right? But all these are time sensitive I suppose. Constant exposure does wear out you know? heehee.

4 comments:

farahaznil said...

hahha.. i try imagine what type of wink2 you did(is it jelingan maut??)..why..are you dictator?har har har

talk more than speaker..hahha..its make more interesting man...but the speaker,sure feel not comfortable..panas hati dia..

Khaeruddin Sudharmin said...

jelingan gatal, jahat dan menggowder hahaha..bukan maut aah. haha. Not talk more than speaker, juz jolok, ask question, interrupt make it lively itu aje ya ya some speakers dont like, feel threatened or they lose their train of thoughts..ilang idea..langsung tegagap2 hahaha. but most like cos i did them a favour make their presentation lively and they like becos others oso benefit maa? audience may want to ask but malas oe segan lor..so chairman/moderateur got license to kill maa hahaha LOL (wink3x)

farahaznil said...

oh..yup..its true,ask question make more lively..if no one ask in one conference,the speaker will be tension ! hahaha.like ckp dgn tunggul kayu..hehe...fortunately my lecturer not as you..haha..if not i will mati kutu kat infront ms presentation..i plak yg wink,wink n wink smpi tak ter-wink kat dpn tu..hehe =p

yanie said...

tp bahaya kalau speaker 2 takut dgn u..hehehe